Development - file size

Drarakel User

Written at 15 Nov 2009 on 17:39

Hi!

Is there a new file size limit? Since yesterday (since the upload error was fixed?) it seems that it's not possible anymore to upload images bigger than 2,00 MiB. I just get the "xy.jpg is not a valid image"-error in these cases - on MoviePosterDB and MoviePictureDB.
Or is there someone who is still able to upload such images?
lmaq Moderator

Written at 16 Nov 2009 on 00:24

I've just upload this poster
http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/792089e7
2633.5 kb without problems.
Martin Owner

Written at 16 Nov 2009 on 01:01

Yeah it was a serversetting (we got a new server this weekend), but it was changed somewhere between the times of your messages
Drarakel User

Written at 16 Nov 2009 on 12:40

Thank you!

By the way: Can somebody tell me the exact value of the file size limit? The rules for MoviePosterDB say 5 million bytes - and on MoviePictureDB it's '5 mb' IIRC. But I think it's 5242880 bytes, i.e. 5 MiB - on both sites. Is that correct?
Komond Moderator

Written at 17 Nov 2009 on 00:22

Well, I didn't know really, but the heaviest poster I can find (not motion, only Martin can upload those anyway) is this one: http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/fda021e6 (the thumb look horrible in colours, but I downloaded it and real one is quite better)

It says 6886.7 kb It's quite a difference, I would have like to know that in the past really, I have compressed some posters more than necessary having a better original. I've always thought limit would be like 5200 or 5500, but not that lol.
lmaq Moderator

Written at 17 Nov 2009 on 12:39

The weight is because the CMYK coulours. I upload a conversion to RGB colours. The thumb looks better, and the filesize is now 3810.1 kb.[/b]
Drarakel User

Written at 17 Nov 2009 on 17:15

Regarding the 6.8 MB TMNT poster: Maybe the file size limit was not active for some days back then?

And I can confirm now that the (current) file size limit is indeed 5242880 bytes. (The former size gets accepted and 5242881 bytes get reclined.) That was trial and error..
So, if I'm not mistaken, the maximum filesize value for regular uploads on MPDB is '5242.9 kb'.
Wolf Moderator

Written at 29 May 2010 on 05:53

Drarakel wrote:
Hi!

Is there a new file size limit? Since yesterday (since the upload error was fixed?) it seems that it's not possible anymore to upload images bigger than 2,00 MiB. I just get the "xy.jpg is not a valid image"-error in these cases - on MoviePosterDB and MoviePictureDB.
Or is there someone who is still able to upload such images?

I just want to give heads-up that this problem is back again. The file size limited is 2MB and anything else above it is automatically rejected.
Martin Owner

Written at 29 May 2010 on 11:23

Thanks Wolf, reported it to the server guys.
This thread is closed.