Development - New category - scan

Crane User

Written at 09 Apr 2009 on 23:55

I think we should have a new category. People are uploading SO MUCH scans, and their quality is, well, mediocre at best.

So I think people who are downloading posters should know that the poster/cover is scan and that they shouldn't expect clear and sharp image.
lmaq Moderator

Written at 13 Apr 2009 on 09:51

Crane. Today the new posters can be digital, but all poster movies of the XX century must be scans.
Crane User

Written at 13 Apr 2009 on 13:54

I know that, but what about DVD covers of new movies?

It's not a problem to find good digital image, but people uploading ugly hi res scans.
Komond Moderator

Written at 26 Apr 2009 on 06:05

Surely there are not too many bad scans for poster (specially old ones, the bad old posters pictures came from digital photographies, but some really well done ones), but for covers it is surely a problem. I guess we could consider any ugly hi res scan as a blow up, as it is a over-resolution scan made from a picture that was not printed with that resolution.

And we all know what we do with blow-ups.
mabiniss1 User

Written at 24 Sep 2009 on 04:59

I'm sorry Crane, but it's not SO MUCH scans, it's SO MANY scans. Bad English!!
Komond Moderator

Written at 25 Sep 2009 on 04:53

If a hi-res scan is bad quality, it's kind of a "blow-up" (it's scanned at bigger size than the printed picture scanned). And what we do with blow-ups is avoid them, so the same with those covers. For old posters that's not necessary, they're scans but high-quality ones, and this problem is only with DVD not proffesional scans really, not with all scans. The fact is, if we tell users that this or that picture is scanned, they don't have to think it's a bad one, and scan doesn't alwaya mean horrible quality (of course is not like a native digital, but some are correct, and what the resolution promises, no more no less).

So, if you see an oversized cover, just delete it, and you could inform the user if he sends a lot, so he/she could make the picture smaller and, in fact, closer to the dpi original cover had. What happens is maybe the cover is printed 150dpi and the user scans at 300dpi or more, so the detail is so good you can see the dots, and that by the way makes the picture irregular, so more difficult to compress and heavier the jpg, because they didn't use any filter when scanning...

So that, if you just think a picture is not good quality compared to its resolution, just refuse or delete it if it's already uploaded.