Development - Glitch in search engine?

veritynoir User

Written at 25 Sep 2011 on 04:25

Recently I've searched for a couple of movie titles that should have come up with no problem--but did not.

For example, when I tried searching for 'I AM CUBA', I got several titles containing 'CUBA' but not that specific title.

So I tried 'SOY CUBA' (Spanish title) and then simply 'CUBA', and both times it delivered the exact same list as the first search.

THEN I tried 'KUBA' (Russian spelling--sort of), and finally it brought up a few more titles, including the one I wanted, which was listed as 'SOY CUBA/YA KUBA' (and in the right-hand AKA column as 'I AM CUBA').

My question is, Why did it search correctly on 'KUBA' but not 'CUBA'? Both spellings are in the title...

I suspect that the slash '/' in the title is an irritant, maybe? When I searched on 'CUBA/' and 'CUBA/YA' to confirm, the correct title did NOT come up.

This has happened to me at least one other time in the last few days. Could the revamped site need some tweaking?
lmaq Moderator

Written at 25 Sep 2011 on 12:39

For an exact search, the IMdb number is always the best way.
Conner User

Written at 01 Oct 2011 on 23:21

Like Imaq said, The best way is to use the IMDB code

This is the url for that film

"http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058604/"

Just type or copy/paste "0058604" into the search box to find the movie posters here.
Martin Owner

Written at 04 Oct 2011 on 16:12

"I Am Cuba" does indeed not work, but "Soy Cuba" does...
veritynoir User

Written at 07 Nov 2011 on 06:52

Imaq and Conner, thanks for the hint about the IMDB code!
Carlito Editor

Written at 21 Oct 2012 on 23:32

I've come across a few titles, like this one for example...

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

I understand about the imdb.com code and do use it myself. I'm sure it does frustrate some members who only want to download posters after buying credits and probably don't know about the imdb.com code. The way I look at it, the more posters that are downloaded, the more credits are used and the sooner credits have to be bought again, hence generating money for the site.

Is there a fix to this?
lmaq Moderator

Written at 22 Oct 2012 on 13:06

In this case the problem seems to be the "apostrophe".
If you type only: Ferris Bueller
there is no problem. You get the correct answer.
Carlito Editor

Written at 23 Oct 2012 on 00:25

Yes, that's another way and I've tried that also with similar titles...

But now if I can't find the title on the site, I just go to imdb.com and search for it there and then use the code to search for the title here and that's the easiest and fastest way.

Thanks Imaq
Martin Owner

Written at 02 Nov 2012 on 09:45

I also get the correct result when I type the whole title, including the apostrophe:
http://www.movieposterdb.com/search?type=movies&query=ferris+bueller%27s+day+off
Could you test that page for me?

By the way, if you're typing a search query result should already popup in an autocomplete box, is that not the case for you?
Carlito Editor

Written at 02 Nov 2012 on 21:32

Funny, when I copy and paste the title from imdb, I get this result.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

When I manually enter the title, I get this result.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

And when I tried your link, I got this result.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Thanks Martin