The Pub - Movie Poster Forum

Written at 31 Jul 2009 on 13:30

Hi All,

For a real Authentic Movie Poster Forum Experience you should head on over to The Movie Poster Forum - www.movieposterforum.com - I have recently upgraded the forum so any feedback would be very much appreciated

Kind Regards
Andy
Movie Poster Forum
Martin Owner

Written at 13 Aug 2009 on 22:31

I wasn't going to say anything here, but I feel like I have to now.

After signing up at the movieposterforum asking for suggestions and opinions about this website, MoviePosterDB.com, a discussion started about the possibility of reprinting posters with images from this website. After a few days it was kind of made clear that it was not (I repeat: NOT) possible to create believable one sheets. They left at the time though, so factual proof does not really exist.

Then a few days later I added little banners to Moviegoods.com on this website. Of course part of this idea was to see if and how they'd react. And they did. They started making accusations (again) of us making deals with Moviegoods. I had said before that that was not (I repeat: NOT) true. Any website can place such a banner. But well, they called me a liar. (Of course you can debate if it's a smart move to add the banner, but at this time I don't even care anymore.)

In short: the movieposterforum exists (partly, not completely!) out of a bunch of people who want movie posters all for themselves. We can not have a Casablanca reprint on our walls if it'd be their decision. Some of them also call MoviePosterDB the (and yes, I quote) "worst thing to happen to movie posters in the last 20 years", without giving any real arguments.

And at the end, me and Komond were simply banned from their forum. Really, really childish and sad.

PS: As I said: not all guys were against MoviePosterDB. I want to thank DrPeach (and probably others, but since I'm banned I can't check) for staying objective.
Komond Moderator

Written at 13 Aug 2009 on 22:35

... and I'm still trying to see how a proffesional (15 years in working with photoshop) can print 5000px in 600dpi as One Sheet. You know: 5000px/600dpi= ... inch. The number inside is not 40 or 41 inches, of course.
Martin Owner

Written at 13 Aug 2009 on 22:39

And I want to add that I'm not even sure if we have 600 dpi pictures. I think most (almost all) are 300 or less.

Please show me an example of a 600 dpi pic
Komond Moderator

Written at 13 Aug 2009 on 23:28

Anyway, 600dpi itself is nothing. It's like saying you have 600 apples for each pear. How many pears you have? If you don't have a big number for px next to it, 600dpi don't means too much (great print of course, but what size will be?). In our case, 600dpi and 5000px would be something like 8 inches, so if we have 600dpi is still not a big deal.

Interesting link for everyone: The Myth of DPI