Play Misty For Me 1971

Critics score:
83 / 100

Reviews provided by RottenTomatoes

Roger Greenspun, New York Times: I think the fault lies with Clint Eastwood the director, who has made too many easy decisions about events, about the management of atmosphere, about the treatment of performances. Read more

Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader: Clint Eastwood wisely chose a strong, simple thriller for his first film as a director, and the project is remarkable in its self-effacing dedication to getting the craft right. Read more

Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times: There is no purpose to a suspense thriller, I suppose, except to involve us, scare us, to give us moments of vicarious terror. Play Misty for Me does that with an almost cruel efficiency. Read more

Jay Cocks, TIME Magazine: Eastwood displays a vigorous talent for sequences of violence and tension. He has obviously seen Psycho and Repulsion more than once, but those are excellent texts and he has learned his lessons passing well. Read more

Tom Milne, Time Out: A highly enjoyable thriller. Read more

Variety Staff, Variety: For that 80% of the film which constitutes the story, the structure and dialog create a mood of nervous terror which the other 20% nearly blows away. Read more